Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What research opportunities are available to me and how do I get involved?

A: Check out these links to databases full of research opportunities, or approach a professor during office hours about their research and research assistant openings.

Undergraduate Research Center

Summer Undergraduate Research

Upsilon Lab

Student Research

Q: Is it possible to double major with a physical science major?

A: Students in good academic standing and on track to graduate on time may be permitted to have a double major, consisting of majors from two departments within the College. Both majors must be completed within the maximum limit of 216 units, and students must obtain the approval of both departments and the College.

With few exceptions, double majors in the same department are unacceptable. No more than 20 upper-division units may be shared by both majors.

Review your academic planning with a counselor at  CAC.

Q: Is it possible to minor with a physical science major?

A:  Students may choose to pursue a minor to complement their major program of study. Minors consist of no fewer than seven courses (28 units) and no more than nine courses (36 units). Some minors also have admission requirements.

The Computing specializations are sequences of supplemental courses that enhance work in a major.

See the list of undergraduate minors and specializations in the Majors and Degrees section.

Q: How do I find out about internship opportunities?

A: Set up an appointment at the Career Center.

Look out for STEM Networking nights spearheaded by student organizations.

Q:  How do I find out about future job and career prospects for my major?

A: Attend Networking Night events, including the STEM Networking Night and set up an appointment at the Career Center.

Q: How do I find out about graduate school options, including medical school?

A: The Career Center provides Graduate and Professional School Counseling and advice sessions, learn more on their website.

Find other online information from the Career Center here.

Click here for information on UCLA Graduate School in the Physical Sciences.

Q: What resources are available to support us and how do I access them?

A: Academic Support:

Student Math Center

Statistics Tutoring Center

Physics and Astronomy Tutoring Center

Chemistry Tutor List (2018/19)

STEM Collaborative Learning Center

There are many of student organizations focused on the physical sciences, listed here.

Student Life:

For health and wellness, visit the Arthur Ashe Student Health and Wellness Center.

For mental health support, CAPS is located west of the John Wooden Center, the website is here or walk-in or call to make an appointment. Phone: (310) 825-0768

Q: Where can I ask questions regarding my coursework? 

A: The College Academic Counseling center is the best way to plan out your future coursework and plans. Click here for info on how to set up an appointment.

You may also wish to visit the Registrar Office, this may provide guidance on basic enrollment questions.

Q: How do I approach my professors? 

A: Your professors want to talk to you, offer advice, help in any way they can. Meet them in their office hours or many of them are willing to make appointments if their office hours do not work with your schedule. Professors do not want you to be intimidated by them, they appreciate a curious student who is willing to approach them.

Q: What are a few keys to success in the Physical Sciences Department?

A: In the Physical Science Department is important to reach out for help. There are always people willing to help (classmates, professors, TAs, tutors, etc.) , but you have to ask.

Go to office hours of your TA and Professors, develop a connection with them early and it could lead to research positions or a reliable letter of recommendation for later on in your career.

As a UCLA student, embrace the diversity and challenges that you face, it is a time to reach out and try something new. Trying something new can always help give you a new perspective on your usual habits.

Find a support system; this can consist of friends, classmates, professors, student organizations, etc.

Strive to do your best for yourself and not in comparison to your classmates.

Lastly, it is okay if your path takes a turn, it does not have to be a linear path. Take some risks to find your passion.

Q: Is studying abroad feasible with a physical science major?

A: Yes, there are programs abroad that correspond with physical science major coursework here and provide credit for those courses.Click here for those programs.

There is more information on the study abroad website. 

Q: What extracurricular activities and mentorship programs are available for the physical science department?

A: Check out the list of student organizations and mentorship programs directed at Physical Science and STEM major here.